Thursday, February 9, 2012

Grab a beer and recycle the empties!


I just came home from dropping of my recycling.  I notice that every time that I go there I see more and more people doing the same thing.  It makes me feel good that somehow the message is getting out there in this area.
For those of you who drink beer and other liquors, what do you do with all of those empty bottles?  I have attending too many parties to know that a lot of the bottles are just thrown away.  Stop this now.  All of that can be recycled if you just take the time and energy to separate all of it.  It is worth your time, believe me.  I know when spring actually gets here there will be a lot of parties in this area.  Just recycle it.  Here is some information about recycling glass.
Every month, we throw out enough glass bottles and jars to fill up a giant skyscraper. All of these jars are recyclable!
The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle can run a 100-watt light bulb for four hours or a compact fluorescent bulb for 20 hours. It also causes 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution than when a new bottle is made from raw materials.
A modern glass bottle would take 4000 years or more to decompose -- and even longer if it's in the landfill.
Mining and transporting raw materials for glass produces about 385 pounds of waste for every ton of glass that is made. If recycled glass is substituted for half of the raw materials, the waste is cut by more than 80%.

No comments:

Post a Comment