As all of us know that indoor plants are amazing decorative items that are known to brighten up any room with living energy and color. However, according to the researches besides creating a pleasing and inviting look, they are also known to impart a myriad of benefits. Different indoor plants require different indoor conditions, while many others may require special treatment, grow light or humidifier. However, in all cases, they are highly beneficial.
Below is an extensive list of benefits of indoor plants –
1) Indoor plants clean the air in the room. Through the process of photosynthesis and transpiration, they absorb carbon dioxide from the air and add oxygen to the air. They are also known to absorb other toxins such as ammonia, benzene, carbon monoxide, trichloroethytene, formaldehyde and xylene. The pollutants emitted from the fireplaces or furnaces are also filtered. The smell of the air is also improved, even if the plants are not fragrant.
2) Indoor plants have proven to provide a physiological benefit also. According to a study, it has been concluded that people who have indoor plants in their home are known to have fewer headaches and less stress. Indoor plants are also known to lower the blood pressure.
3) Indoor plants are known to have a de-stressing effect. The green color of the plant relaxes the mind and brings a feeling of refreshment. Introduction of indoor plants in the offices or work environment has been proven to increase the productivity of the employees.
4) Indoor plants fight colds and fatigue. According to a recent study, common ailments such as sore throat, cold, fatigue, cough and other cold related ailments are reduced by more than thirty percent in houses with indoor plants as they decrease the dust particles in the air and increase the humidity level. They are also known to prevent allergies in children.
5) Indoor plants make people calmer and think optimistic. According to a study, hospital patients who face a window with a garden view recover quickly than those who used to face a wall.
6) Besides the physical health benefits, indoor plants have a positive effect on the mental health of an individual also. When someone is lonely or depressed, caring for a living thing can impart a purpose in life. Places where pets are not allowed, indoor plants are the best choice as one can occupy himself through watering, fertilizing and trimming the plants.