Monday, September 26, 2011

Fruits

When I started buying organic produce, I was worried about the taste and of course the cost.  I was so surprised that I was wrong.  I was afraid that the produce would look bad and have insect bites all over it, like you would find in a garden sometimes.  The produce look like it is supposed to not all waxy and slick.
The first produce that I bought was fruit.  I’m not the biggest fan of fruit, but I thought it was a good place to start.  Apples were always kind of hit or miss with me, but when I bought some apples at Whole Foods, I could not believe how good they were.  That was over a year ago, so ever since I have been buying only organic apples and no other.  The taste was real.  They tasted like apples are supposed to taste and the crispiness and juiciness was unbelievable.  I did not expect the apples to be that good.
The other side of this story happened this spring.  My parents came to town and brought me some stuff, and one of the items were some braeburn apples, which I love.  My Mom had found some on sale which she brought to me.  (I have already told her this, and I felt bad about telling her.) The apples that she brought to me were regular apples that you would find in the store, not organic.  They were terrible! The texture was grainy and just fell apart in your mouth.  Each one that I tried was like that and I have tried other brands of non organic apples, and the experience was about the same.
Now, I’m a huge banana eater; I love them.  I started buying organic bananas to start eating more organic.  They taste like real bananas.  I know it sounds odd, but it’s true.  One day the organic bananas were too green and I wanted some that day, so I bought regular bananas.  I didn’t think there would be that big of a difference, but I was so wrong.  The bananas tasted like nothing.  There was no taste at all.  I just threw them out.  I will not go back to eating non organic produce.
I would like for each person to pick a fruit and buy one regular and one organic, if your local store has organic.  Try both and post on here you opinion.  I would love to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment